A jury found Christopher Clements guilty in the disappearance and death of a 13-year-old girl in Tucson in 2014.
Clements, 40, was found guilty by a jury Friday in Pima County Superior Court of first-degree murder of an individual under the age of 15 and kidnapping of an individual under the age of 15 in the death of Maribel González.
Gasps of relief could be heard throughout the courtroom on Friday afternoon as members of law enforcement and Maribel’s family and friends attended the reading of the verdict. after two weeks of hearings.
Meetings to discuss a sentencing date will be held on October 12.
Gonzalez disappeared on the evening of June 3, 2014, as she walked to her friend’s house. His body was found buried under tires, and his clothes and shoes had been removed.
According to the Associated Press, Clements is serving a prison sentence of up to 35 years for a burglary in Maricopa County in 2017.
During the trial, the prosecution showed that Clements’ cell phone was located where Maribel was walking as well as where her body was found the night she disappeared.
Clements is also charged with the kidnapping and first degree murder of 6-year-old Isabel Celis, whose body was identified in 2017, five years after she disappeared. This trial is due to take place in February.
According to the Associated Press, Clements allegedly told FBI agents he had information on Celis’ whereabouts and then led them to his remains, hoping to have his burglary arrest overturned.
He reportedly told authorities that he was not responsible for her death and that he only knew where her body was from talking to other inmates.
The two girls’ bodies were found just outside of Tucson on Trico and West Avra Valley roads.
Coverage of Southern Arizona on azcentral.com and in The Arizona Republic is funded by the non-profit organization Report for America in association with The Republic.
Contact the reporter at email@example.com.