Jim McKee: From Tremont House to Today in Lincoln Haymarket | History

0

In 1880, PH Robbins arrived from Quincy, Illinois, and purchased the hotel, which in turn was acquired by George Smith in 1884, who built the Tremont House Hotel on the site, possibly named after the Tremont in Omaha.

The Lincoln Tremont, confusingly listed as the Illinois home on the Sanborn fire map, consisted of three buildings, the main one described as a three-story, 100-by-60-foot, 62-room brick building. with “offices, sink and toilet, bedrooms, kitchen, bathroom, reading and writing rooms, cigar shop and dining room” on the ground floor.

Philander Cooper came to Lincoln after serving as manager of Union Pacific hotels in Duchess County, New York; Evanston, Wyoming; and Sydney (sic.), Nebraska and assumed management of the Tremont. The Tremont was advertised that year as having 20 employees, with a specialty in hosting theater companies on the American front and “steam-heated / electric bells / incandescent lights / the popular $ 1.50 per day House of the City ”at 741-49 P Street. There were over 22 hotels listed in Lincoln.

Jim McKee: It’s hard to understand Lincoln’s oldest fire station

Harry Grainger and his brother Joseph immigrated from England in 1881, Harry initially working for Hargreaves Wholesale Grocers. After operating a retail fruit market at 917 Q St., the brothers formed Grainger Brothers Commission Agents at 1016 P St. and also operated a retail grocery store at 235 N. 10th St.

In 1892, they had 20 employees. Around 1902, the brothers acquired the Tremont Hotel building and completely remodeled it for the offices and warehouse of their wholesale grocery store with electricity, elevators and connected to the Burlington sidings on 8th Street. In just a few years, with 40 to 50 employees and 11 street vendors, they presented themselves as “one of the main grocers in the state”.

Share.

Leave A Reply