Teenager charged with murder of Humza Hussain, 16, will not testify in trial

0

The teenager accused of the murder of Humza Hussain, 16, outside a school in Luton, will not testify at his trial, a jury announced today (November 25, 2021).

This morning at Luton Crown Court and following the prosecution case closed earlier this week, the accused’s attorney, Naseem Mian QC, told trial judge Judge Goss: “He will not testify “.

And Mr Mian said his client would not call any evidence.

READ MORE: Police patrol Bedford school after man allegedly approaches children

This means that the trial of the 16-year-old accused of the murder of Humza Hussain is now entering its final stages. The defendant cannot be named for legal reasons.

Closing speeches will take place tomorrow (Friday, November 26) and on Monday, the judge will summarize the case to the jury before sending them out to consider the verdicts.

During the trial, which began on November 15, the prosecution alleged that Humza Hussain, 16, was stabbed three times in the chest in a revenge attack that took place in broad daylight on a street. animated on June 8 of this year.

The jury heard that the accused had armed himself with a “big and savage knife” for the attack after having had a bloody nose in a fight months earlier.

The 16-year-old denies having murdered Humza Hussain. He also denies having had a knife on Stoneygate Road, Luton, on the same day.

Prosecutor Richard Wright QC told the 10-male and two-female jury how members of the public, paramedics, teachers and staff from Challney High School for Boys all responded to the stabbing, which s ‘were produced between 3:30 p.m. and 3:45 p.m.

Humza was rushed to hospital where he died shortly after 6 p.m. that evening.



Humza Hussain, 16, was stabbed to death on Tuesday in Luton, Bedfordshire.

Mr Wright said: “These were devastating and ultimately insurmountable injuries. There is no doubt that Humza was killed by the accused. He was using a large, wild-looking knife that he had hidden in his clothes.

He continued, “The dispute between them (Humza and the accused) had been brewing for some time.

“There was a mutual animosity that developed. It is not easy to identify and can be linked to slurs on social media. It may have started as a little teenage grudge that developed.

The jury viewed CCTV footage from the school that recorded a brawl in the playground behind goal posts eight months earlier on October 7, 2020.

The prosecutor said on the one hand Humza Hussain and some of his friends and on the other the accused. As a result, the accused suffered a bloody nose, which was filmed by Humza on his phone.

The fight resulted in Humza and a friend being permanently expelled from school and the accused was transferred to another school.

“From that point on, the accused was determined to take revenge on Humza Hussain and his friend,” Wright said.

Exactly a month after the fight, on November 7, 2020, Humza was in the city’s Chaul End Park with a cousin when they were attacked by a larger group.

The accused allegedly told a youth, who was armed with a knife, to “prick” Humza, who suffered serious injuries to his arm.

The defendant repeatedly ordered Humza to say “sorry”.

The prosecutor said: “He had received a nosebleed during a fight at school and had lost his face in the eyes of his peers. Humza was not ready to press charges for the November attack, he said.

On the day of the murder, June 8 this year, it was alleged that the accused was outside of Challney Boys’ School on a bicycle where he was seen bullying the brother of 14 years of one of Humza’s friends.

The young boy saw a knife in his pants and refused to accompany the accused down an alley. The teachers arrested the defendant, who said he was looking for a cousin. The 14-year-old boy was taken back to school.

The boy called his older brother, who showed up outside the school with Humza.

They had both arrived by bicycle. Humza brought with him a metal file from his father’s shed. The other boy had a little hammer with him that was in two parts.

If you are looking for a way to keep up to date with the latest news from Bedfordshire, the new BedfordshireLive newsletter is a good place to start.

Updating daily will deliver the best news and features to your inbox.

We choose the most important stories of the day to include in the newsletter, including crime, court news, long readings, traffic and travel, food and drink articles and more.

Signing up for the newsletter is easy. All you have to do is click here and enter your email address.

This is one of the many ways you can read the news that interests you from BedfordshireLive.

Mr Wright said: “The stab wounds were seen by many members of the public. It was a quick occurrence.

The older brother allegedly threw the head of the hammer at the accused, who took out his knife. Humza allegedly grabbed the accused from behind in an attempt to hold him back.

“After breaking free, he threw himself at Humza Hussain and stabbed him several times in the chest,” Wright said.

The accused was then arrested at his home in Luton.

The jury learned that defense was a matter of self-defense.

The trial continues.


Source link

Share.

Comments are closed.